Wednesday, June 01, 2005

mid week musing

Quick update on thoughts and plans
This car is an opportunity to try out some ideas that have been hanging around in the back of my mind for a while now. So I thought it was timely to put some of this stuff down on paper (bytes?)
 
My idea is to have a bit of fun building the thing with my own hands (the therapy bit)  - and then go out and have some fun racing the car - as it is the car has sat around so long now that it is up to Evolution 3 status without having turned a wheel in competition under my ownership - last event was as a half caged rally car in 2001 with Mal Simmonds www.fiatparts.co.nz (there is picture in the gallery) running around the Taupo race track - so that makes 4 years on ice, with at least another six months of fiddling to go. I could have just tarted the old thing up and had a skid - but I didn't, in hindsight I should have - but that's just life. So with all that in mind here is where I am at.
  1. I have a thing for the 128 - boxy unloved and kinda funky. So I have an excuse for not building an Uno or a Golf or a mini... just don't like em
  2. I have owned a factory Group 2 Fiat 128 (built by Trevialato Racing and campaigned by Scuderia Filipinetti in 1971/72)  - see the photo from a few days back - so have had the opportunity to drive the best "classic" set up there was and its good... but....
  3. I cant leave anything alone....
  4. I don't actually like the ergonomics of a 128 - sad but true...
  5. I have a thing about the BTCC, German Group 5 touring cars, American SCCA GT3, 4 and 5 cars and the Kiwi SS2000 / Shell Sport cars - fat flares, big slicks low low ride height - wings - anything to make it all work...
  6. So taking some ideas from those who should know - I have settled on the following mods
    • Lower and centralise the seating position - means a new drivers floor tub (underway)
    • Use floor Mounted pedal box - in this case willwood - means a tub for these as well (underway)
    • move the seating position 250mm rearwards (underway)
    • extend the steering column and add quick release (done)
    • Add a steering quickener - 'cause I cant find a quick rack - still haven't confirmed this bit...
    • mount the seat to the roll cage - (next job)
    • Jungle Gym roll cage - I make it out to require 44 metres of 38mm Southward Tube... or 1/2 what an Aussie V8 Supercar has in it - only question is will the cage builder agree?
    • ditch the front anti roll bar and fit tension struts with insitu adjustors (done)
    • seam weld (underway)
    • fit coilovers front and rear (done)
    • Lexan glazing all round - including the windscreen (job for later)
    • Glass fibre Boot and Bonnet (done) and Front doors (later)
    • Weld rear door skins  to shell (later)
    • Tub the rear wheel wells (Done)
    • 13 x 7 wheels (done)
    • Disc brake rear, Vented Fronts (done)
    • Ditch the hand brake (done)
    • remove the parcel tray (underway)
    • Ditch the dash
    • run the exhaust inside the cabin (in a fabricated tunnel) exit out the lh rear door skin
    • plus all the Normal racing stuff - rewire/replumb/fuel cell/window neat/race seat etc etc oh and fix the rust in the boot wells
    • Big rear anti roll bar & small front anti roll bar - both to be sorted out in testing
    • Front air dam and splitter
    • Rear Wing - (done)
  7. Plus it will need painting as is the worlds most awful shade of light blue (it was the 1970's after all) - I like the idea of a semi gloss black..... white doors and big skunk stripes...
  8. Engine is a 1500 SOHC - 40mm delortos Alquatti Intake - Stainless Headers - Big valve head - Cam to suit etc all pretty average really (see previous note on resources)
  9. Gear box is standard 4 speed - but there is a development plan for that...
  10. Will it actually all work? - who knows - its all been done before just generally not on the same car... but I am sure that there is an almost identical spec 128 somewhere - I just haven't found it.
  11. Will it be fast? - actually who really cares? I don't... my toy .
If anybody feels the need and has a set lying about  I am looking for a set of 450# 2.5"x8" coil springs for the fronts....
later
w
 
 

No comments: