Monday, August 15, 2005

Onwards

the bomb Factory is Back in the game this weekend - progress is seen to be made - and I even took photos (now just have to develop the film - see previous comments re - luddite.) All this took 8 hours to do.... and it looks so easy in the books!
Rear wheel tubs - both are now in and welded - I also hacked them back a bit - still need final trimming and a bit of panel cream (delicate way of say ing they need bogging) looking at them there will be ZERO chance of fouling  the metal work when the car is at full bump - just need to find a flare big enough to cover them as I do not want people slagging off my fabricating skills and clunky welding - rust is all repaired on the right boot well  and the left boot well needs one panel folded up and welding on.
Made a patch for the left front corner of the windscreen opening - now I bet all you Fiat owners are wondering why that rusted out..... nope didn't think so - need to now remake the lip to support the windscreen and finish the welds etc etc.
After reading a number of comments on the inherent weakness of the front sway bar pick ups - I had another look at that area - sure enough there were more cracks in evidence - weld em up - now that should be okay for a bit - I can see that the front of the chassis is going to be an issue over time - the roll cage will help but the suspension loads are hanging out in the breeze - with the change to track rods at the front the cross car twisting load will be taken off the mounts so that may help a bit but who knows.
NEWS ITEMS
I have also paid for a quick rack for the car - watch this space for a monologue on fitting this item
Also in process are a complete set of Koni Coil overs - custom items - I will update when these hit the factory floor as well.
Ran out of welding gas so only got the one day in - good job to as I am obviously out of shape. The welding is still a bit off and on but I think its getting better - although the tin foil Fiat built the 128 outer skins with is a bit of a trial.
The bomb factories new home is coming along need to put in some lights and paint the inside and we can drag the old tart home (the car.....)
 
My estimate of having the cage in by September is looking a bit on the hopeful side of hopeful - October is more likely as it seems to take me 3 times as long to do a job as I guesstimate and the family are still apparently quite fond of seeing me - or least having me do stuff around the place anyway.
 
Okay back to the real world...
W

No comments: